About the PADI Divemaster Course
The PADI Divemaster Course is your first step towards a Professional Diving Career within the PADI Scuba Diving industry. Natalie Hunt - PADI Platinum Course Director co-ordinates the mentorship program through Sunshine Divers, a 5 Star Instructor Development Centre, providing our Divemaster Candidates with the highest level of Training Standards. Theory work takes place in our outside classrooms, while practical lectures take place on our ‘doorstep’ beach.
If you are looking for unlimited diving, flexible program length during your PADI Dive Master Internship, with Professional and enthusiastic instruction and mentorship, then Sunshine Divers is for you. Incorporated in our fun workshops, we focus on enhancing your navigation, deep diver, search and recovery, and leading diver skills. Through the unlimited diving by supervising, and assisting on dive courses, general fun diving and gaining the necessary experience, opportunities to advance within this professional role will prepare you to work within all aspects of the diving industry.
Who is a PADI Divemaster
The dive community expects several characteristics of an individual with the PADI Divemaster rating which include the following:
- Exemplary personal and rescue diving skills
- Instructor level knowledge of dive theory
- Competence as a certified assistant with significant training on how to assist an instructor during training activities
- To be able to assume appropriate responsibilities that benefit the welfare of other divers.
- Ethical role model behavior, Enthusiasm and Fun!
As you may know, many PADI Divemaster’s go on to become PADI Dive Instructors therefore, the training and experience you gain through the PADI Divemaster program, helps shape your abilities and attitude toward becoming a professional level dive educator.
On completion of your PADI Divemaster Course you will be qualified to:
- Organize and conduct recreational diving activities, both land and boat based
- Assist PADI instructors in conducting PADI Diver programs
- Conduct PADI Scuba Review Refresher courses for certified divers
- Conduct Discover Scuba Diving Courses and any consecutive dives for DSD after the initial program with an instructor
- Conduct the PADI Skin Diver Program
- Enroll in PADI Instructor Level Training
Upon successfully completing the PADI Divemaster program, you will receive a certification card and wall certificate denoting this rating. You will also become a member of PADI and receive benefits, including the ability to purchase professional liability insurance (which may be required to conduct some activities depending where you will be located.)
Pre-requisites to do the PADI Divemaster Course
- Be certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or equivalent)
- Be certified as a PADI Rescue Diver (or equivalent), and submit proof of CPR and First Aid and Secondary Care training within the past 24 months. (or equivalent from another training organization.
- Have logged a minimum of 40 open water dives prior to entry into the PADI Divemaster training, and completed and logged a minimum of 60 open water dives with experience in night, deep and navigation prior to certification as a PADI Divemaster
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be in good physical condition for diving and submit a medical exam form signed by a physician - MEDICAL STATEMENT,
- We will need to see all your certification cards from Open water to Rescue Diver (or electronic versions) and your logbook to prove diving experience. If you do not have any of these available, please inform us in advance so that we can research your details online through the PADI website or assist you with finding your current details.
What’s included in the PADI Divemaster Course
Within the PADI Divemaster Course you will complete Three Phases:
- Water Skills
- Knowledge Development
- Practical Application
- 400 m swim
- 800 m swim with mask and snorkel and fins
skill circuits – refining basic scuba skills so that you can role model for beginner and certified divers.
- Rescue Assessment Ex. 7 Unconscious diver on the surface from the rescue course
- 15 mins Tread Water (last 2 mins – hands above water)
- Role and characteristics of a Divemaster
- Supervising diving activities for certified divers
- Assisting with student divers in training
- Diving Physics
- Diving Physiology
- Diving Skills and Environment
- Decompression Theory and Dive table
- Dive Equipment
- Dive Management and Control
- Risk Management
- Business and Marketing of Diving
- Dive Master Conducted Programs
- Furthering your dive career
- Emergency Assistance Plan for Diving Emergencies in the local area
- Mapping a local open water dive site
- Volunteer Ecological Program for Marine Conservation
This involves training activities using various structured training sessions simulated scenarios and internship sessions with realistic PADI Programs taking place. These training sessions enable you to gain practical experience as an instructional assistant and a supervisor of open water diving activities both as a coordinator and as an underwater guide.
Also expanding your knowledge on Specialty courses including:
- Search and Recovery Diver
- Wreck Diver
- Deep Diver
- Nitrox (Enrich Air Diver)
- Peak Performance Bouyancy Diver
- Ecological Montitoring Program
- Project Aware
- Reef Conservation
During your Divemaster Program with us, we teach you the first dive of each specialty as part of you Divemaster training program, yet you may prefer to continue and obtain the complete rating. As we would like you to enhance your knowledge for these specialties we provide our Divemaster Trainee’s with a 50% discount on all specialty retail rates. For further information please contact us.
Duration of the PADI Divemaster Course
The duration of the PADI Divemaster Course will vary depending on your personal goals and travel times and arrangements. As most candidates prefer to stay longer than 3 weeks, this course may be extended up to 3 to 6 months. We take into consideration your interest in travelling both within Thailand and also the neighboring countries, therefore our Divemaster Program is flexible to accommodate your individual needs. We can definitely tailor the program to your time schedule, although you will also need to dedicate your time to your diving and theory requirements for this course to ensure you achieve your Divemaster professional rating. Also due to the visa requirements to reside within Thailand, we do take into consideration the need for boarder runs to ensure appropriate entry visas are fulfilled.
Cost of the PADI Divemaster Course
Cost of the PADI Divemaster Course is 25,000 Baht including the use of all rental scuba equipment during the program along with dive computers and compasses.
PADI Materials cost 7,000 Baht including : PADI Instructor Manual, DM Manuel, DM Slates, The Recrational Dive Encylopedia, ERDpml, Scuba Review Tune Up Booklet and the required PADI Decal Sticker for the final Divemaster Application Processs. Language PADI Materials cost 8,000 Baht.
A PADI Medical Statement for physical dive clearance needs to be signed by a physician. This may be obtained by your home physician or by a physician on the island. Cost on the island is approximately 200 Baht.
PADI Divemaster Application Fee is $196.00 Australian Dollars. This payment is made via a credit card application directly to PADI to register in current status as a PADI Divemaster to be eligible for employment.
Accommodation: We can suggest several longterm bungalows/rooms located nearby the dive centre depending on your personal budget.